Gujia is a fried sweet dumpling that is mostly prepared in India during the Holi festival. Gujia is the only thing I like on Holi. It is crispy filled with Mawa and nuts. Personally, I preferred homemade Gujia recipe rather than buying from a sweet shop. The special thing about Gujia is, it is prepared only for the Holi festival otherwise, you will hardly see Gujia in sweet shops during non-festival days. But at home, you can make it any time you want.
The outer layer of Gujia is made with Maida (all-purpose flour) and filling depends on your taste and preferences but Mawa (solid milk) is an essential ingredient of Gujia. You can also add semolina (sooji) or coconut with a combination of Mawa, nuts. It totally depends on your choice. Gujia is prepared in three steps:
- Preparation of dough
- Preparation of filling
I always make Gujia with the help of Molds. Gujia Molds are easily available in the market or you can also shape it with your hands and make a design with the help of folk. But here I am using a mold for Gujia. Gujias are fried in Desi ghee/cow ghee or you can also fry it in refined Oil but I suggest you to frying it in Ghee/ Cow ghee. Here I am using cow ghee for frying Gujia. Desi Ghee fried Gujia tastes good and also comes with health benefits.
Below is the complete Gujia recipe. I hope you like and try it on this Holi and share your experience in the comment section below:
Check out the other Sweet/Dessert recipes:
Ingredients For Dough
- 2½ cup Maida
- ¼ cup Cow Ghee/ Ghee
- pinch of salt
- enough water for soft dough
Ingredients for Filling
- 250 gm Mawa (khoa)
- 1 cup Roasted Sooji (Semolina)
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- Some almonds or other nuts
- 5 Elaichi (Cardamom)
- Enough ghee for deep frying
- Firstly add maida in the bowl, add ghee and pinch of salt.
- Then add water and make a soft dough and kept aside for rest.
- When dough is ready then heat a pan add 1 tbsp of ghee and add semolina (sooji) and roastt it for a while.
- Now add mawa in the same pan and roast it to.
- Then add both in bowl and powdered sugar elaichi and almonds in it. Mix it very well.
- Now make a small balls of the dough and roll it and place it on the mold and filled with filling that we prepared before.
- Gujia is now ready for deep frying.
- Heat a pan and deep fry it on low-meduim flame.
How To Make Gujia (in detail):
- Firstly, add 2½ cup of maida in the bowl, add ¼ cup of ghee, and a pinch of salt in it. Mix it well.
- Then add enough water to make a soft dough. When the dough is ready, Cover it and kept aside for a rest.
- Now add ghee in the pan and add 1 cup of semolina (sooji) and roast it.
- Then add 250 gm of Mawa/Khoa in the same pan.
- Add roasted sooji and Mawa in the powdered sugar.
- Then add some almonds and elaichi to it. You can also add Cashewnuts, pistachio, coconut powder to it.
- Mix it very well and let it cool.
- The dough and filling are now ready to make a Gujia.
- Now make small balls of the dough and roll it on a rolling board.
- Then place a rolled dough on Gujia mold.
- Add 1 tbsp of filling in mold.
- Now press the mold to give a perfect shape to the Gujia.
- Do it the same as the rest of the dough. Now you can see gujia is ready for deep frying.
- Heat a pan and add enough cow ghee of deep-frying.
- Deep fry the Gujia on low medium flame until it turns into golden brown.
- Crispy Mawa Gujia is now ready to serve and enjoy.
Notes For Gujia Recipe:
- The dough for Gujia should not be so thick or soft.
- You can add any other dry fruits in the filling of Gujia.
- You can add Coconut Powder along with semolina (sooji) in the filling.
- You should always fry Gujia in Desi Ghee/ cow ghee. Here I am using Cow ghee for frying the Gujia. This will make Gujia more tasty and healthy.
- Do not Fry Gujia on high flame as it will only cook the outer layer of Gujia and left the inner layer of Gujia uncook and raw.