Dabeli is a popular Gujarati street food recipe and here I am going to share the Dabeli recipe. You can easily make delicious Dabeli at home. You will get that street-style Dabeli at home. The way I am sharing this recipe is so simple, easy and the taste is amazing.
Although Dabeli is a Gujrati cuisine but it is a little bit similar to the Maharashtrian Vada Pav. But in Dabeli Aloo (potato) stuffing is stuffed in a pav or burger bun with some chutneys and sev. The stuffing of Dabeli is spicy and sweet at the same time.
You can adjust the spiciness of the stuffing according to your preferences. Dabeli is such a filling snack, you can have it even in breakfast or in lunch. But I like it in the evening time with a hot cup of coffee/tea.
The Pav or Double Roti you are using to make Dabeli should be fresh as it will affect the taste. Actually, this is my first try to make Dabeli at home.
I didn’t say that it is an authentic Kutchi Dabeli recipe. But I tried and the taste was so amazing. Dabeli is one of my favorite street food all the time and always wanted to try it at home and here it is.
Here I am going to share a recipe of Gujrati Dabeli. I hope you like and try this recipe and don’t forget to share your experience in the comment section below.
Check out more recipes:
Ingredients for Dabeli Stuffing
- 4-5 Boiled Potatoes
- 1 chopped onions
- 1 tsp Jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 tsp Dhania Powder (Corriander Powder)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Tamarind chutney
- Boiled mashed potatoes
- Fresh coriander Leaves
- Coconut powder
For assembling Dabeli
- Fresh Pav or Double roti
- finely chopped onions
- Red Chutney
- Tamarind Chutney
- Sev or Mixture Sev
- Chaat Masala
- Take a kadai and add oil and jeera with onions.
- Mix it then add masalas in it. After that add 2 tbsp of Tamarind Chutney in it.
- Mix it and then add mashed potatoes in it.
- Mix it very well. Dabeli Aloo Stuffing is now ready.
- Kept aside in a plate and sprinkle fresh dhania, coconut powder, and sev on top of the Aloo.
Assembling the Dabeli
- Now take a pav and cut it in half and apply both chutney in pav.
- then cut aloo stuffing in square and place it in the pav.
- After that sprinkle some onions and chaat masala and dip it into the Sev.
- Then heat a tava and spread some butter on it and place Dabeli on it.
- When Dabeli is completely toasted that means Dabeli is now ready to serve with hot cup of tea.
How To Make Dabeli Recipe (in detail):
Preparing Aloo Stuffing For Dabeli
1. Take a pan, add oil, 1 tsp of jeera and 1 chopped onion in it.
2. Then add 1 tsp of coriander Powder, 1 tsp of red chilli powder and salt to taste.
3. Add 2 tbsp of Tamarind Chutney in it. Mix it.If you don’t have Tamarind (Imli Chutney), check the link I have added.
4. After that, add boiled mashed potatoes. Here I am using 4-5 medium size potatoes. You adjust it according to your need.
5. Now mash it properly, here I am using a masher to give perfect texture to the stuffing.
6. Stuffing is done now kept aside in a plate and make a flat surface with the help of spatula.
7. Then sprinkle some fresh coriander leaves, coconut powder and sev mixture. Here I am using Sev mixture. You can use plain sev if you like. But I like sev mixture more than plain sev. So Aloo Stuffing is now ready for Dabeli.
- Take fresh pav and cut it in between and add Red chutney and Tamarind chutney in it. (as seen in the picture below).
- Then cut the aloo stuffing that we prepared before and place it in the pav.
- Now sprinkle some chopped onions and chaat masala on top of it.
- And dip the edges of Dabeli into the Sev mixture.
- Place it on a hot tava/pan and toast it for a while.
- Delicious Gujarati Dabeli is now ready to serve. As we know winter is going on and nothing is better than that Dabeli with a hot cup of tea/coffee in chilly evenings.
So that is how you can make Dabeli Recipe at home. The whole texture and taste of Dabeli are so good and feel Gujarati. You can literally have Dabeli at any time. Dabeli goes well in Morning Breakfast, lunch, evening snacks and also for Dinner.
Must try our Dabeli recipe at home and also share it with your family and friends.