Dal Bukhara is a velvety smooth texture Urad dal recipe, originated in the kitchen of the world-famous Bukhara Restaurant of ITC Maurya in New Delhi. They are serving this delicious Dal Bukhara recipe on their menu for almost 40 years.
Dal Bukhara is prepared with Whole Urad Dal (Black lentils) slow-cooked over hours in tandoor. It is a little bit similar to Dal Makhani but in Dal Bukhara, you will not find rajma (red beans). Tomato gravy with a lot of white butter and low-fat cream is added in Dal Bukhara. The taste of this dal recipe is so tender and creamy texture just melts in the mouth.
I had a wonderful experience in ITC Maurya and someone told me to taste their special Dal Bukhara in the Bukhara Restaurant and I must say, it was a heavenly pleasure to have Dal Bukhara on the plate. Each bite gives you the experience of smooth, creamy Dal.
I always wanted to share the Dal Bukhara recipe on my blog and finally here is the recipe. I am going to share an authentic recipe of Dal Bukhara that you will see in the Bukhara Restaurant. I prepare this recipe by using the traditional method of using a tandoor, and as you know, the natural coal flavor is always incredible.
If you don’t have a tandoor then you can cook it in a pressure cooker as well. But you have to prepare it in Tandoor at least once, it will be an amazing and delicious experience. No pressure cooker will give that flavor in Dal Bukhara.
I love to have this Dal Bukhara with garlic naan, you can have it with any other bread you like, jeera rice is also good to have with it.
I’ll explain the full recipe of Dal Bukhara below. I hope you like and try this recipe and share your experience in the comment section below.
Check out the other recipe:
- Chana Dal
- Kaddu Ki Sabzi
- Dhaba Style Dum Aloo
- Pakora Kadhi
- Shahi Paneer
- Palak Paneer
- Soya Masala Chaap
- Tandoori Soya Chaap
- Rajma Chawal
- Matar Paneer
- Paneer Bhurji
- Sarson Ka Saag with Makki Ki roti
- Malai Fry
- Matar Mushroom
- 300 gm Whole Urad Dal (Whole Black Lentils)
- 2 tbsp Fresh White Butter
- 1 cup Fresh low fat cream
- ½ tbsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 tbsp Ginger-Paste
- 1 tbsp Garlic-paste
- 1½ cup Tomato Puree
- ½ tbsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tbsp Dhania powder
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri Red chilli powder
- Kasturi Methi
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp kitchen king masala
- Take Urad Dal and rinse it properly and soak it overnight or atleast 7-8 hours.
- Next morning rinse it again and add water, ½ tbsp of turmeric powder in it and place it tandoor for 4-5 hours.
- When dal is completely cooked then take a pan and add oil, jeera, ginger-garlic paste.
- Add tomato puree and other spices in it.
- Now add cooked dal in the tadka along with dal also add white butter and cream in it.
- Mix it well and add kasturi methi and Kitchen king masala in it.Mix it well.
- Now, Dal Bukhara is ready to serve with naan, lacha paratha.
How To Make Dal Bukhara in ITC Maurya Style (in detail):
- Firstly soaked a Whole Urad Dal overnight or at least 7-8 hours.
- Next morning add ½ tbsp of turmeric and salt to taste in soaked dal.
- Now place dal in the tandoor for 4-5 hours. Stir it in small intervals.
- When dal is completely cooked then prepare a tadka (tempering) for the Dal Bukhara.
- Take a pan and add oil and ½ tsp of cumin seeds, 1 tbsp of garlic paste, and 1 tbsp of ginger paste.
- Mix it well and then add 1 cup of tomato puree, 1 tbsp of degi mirch (red chili powder), ½ tbsp of turmeric powder, 1 tbsp of Dhania powder to it.
- Stir it and let it cook the tomatoes.
- Now add cooked dal in the tempering.
- Then add 2 tbsp of white butter and 1 cup of low-fat cream in the dal. You can also use Amul Cream.
- Mix it and add kasturi methi and 1 tbsp of kitchen king masala in it.
- Then add half a glass of water to the dal.
- Let it cook on medium flame and sprinkle some fresh dhania on it.
- Now Dal Bukhara is ready to serve with garlic naan, laccha paratha, tandoori roti, or jeera rice.