Khaman Dhokla originates from Western India. Khaman Dhokla is Gujarati cuisine that is prepared with fermented besan (gram flour) and sooji (semolina). It is a healthy steamed savory cake that has little sweet and sour flavors. The texture of Khaman Dhokla is soft, spongy fluffy and juicy which is really soothing and you can enjoy it at any time of the day.
The difference between Khaman Dhokla and Traditional Dhokla:
Khaman Dhokla is an instant recipe that is easily made with Besan and Sooji, if you want to make it gluten-free then skip the sooji in it. But, Traditional Dhokla is prepared with Rice and lentils that you should ferment overnight, just like idli.
Khaman Dhokla is fermented with Eno (fruit salt) or baking soda and lemon juice. I mostly used Eno instead of Baking Soda because Eno Tastes better and instantly fermented. Generally, Khaman Dhokla is made at my home because it’s easy, instant, and tastes amazing.
Khaman Dhokla has a bright yellow color, on the other hand, Traditional Dhokla has a whitish color. Most of us believe that we can achieve that bright yellow color with haldi (Turmeric) but we are wrong because turmeric reacts with lemon and gives a red spot on the Khaman. So, you should skip haldi (turmeric) in khaman dhokla. Besan is enough to give a bright yellow color.
Syrup for Khaman Dhokla :
The most interesting part of Khaman Dhokla is its Syrup which gives a sweet juiciness to Khaman. It just melts in the mouth with some amazing flavors. The syrup of khaman dhokla is prepared with green chilli, Rai (mustard seeds), fresh Curry leaves, salt, sugar, lemon juice, and water.
The most important ingredient of the syrup is lemon juice and green chili. Without these two ingredients syrup of Khaman Dhokla is incomplete.
I’ll explain the detailed recipe of Khaman Dhokla below. I hope you like it and try and don’t forget to share your experience in the comment section below.
Check out more recipes:
- Dahi Bhalla Chaat
- Dabeli Recipe
- Matar Mushroom
- Aloo Pyaaz Kachori
- Makhani Sauce Pasta
- Amritsari Aloo Kulcha
Khaman Dhokla Recipe
ingredients for khaman:
- 2 cup Besan (Gram Flour)
- 1 cup Sooji (Semolina)
- 2-3 tbsp Curd
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- water (as per preference)
- 1 tbsp Eno (Fruit Salt)
Ingredients for Syrup
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Mustard Seeds ( Rai)
- 5-6 Fresh Curry Leaves
- 4-5 half sliced green chilli
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 1-2 glass of water
- 3-4 tbsp sugar
Instructions for making Khaman Dhokla
- Take a bowl and add 2 cups of besan and 1 cup of sooji.
- Then add 2 tbsp of curd, salt lemon, and sugar.
- Add water and make a thick batter but yet flowy on whisk.
- Now add Eno (fruit salt) mix it and pour the batter in the greesed pan. Place it on steamer for at least 45 minutes.
- You can also check in small intervals of inserting knife. If the knife is come out clean from centre that means khaman dhokla is perfectly cooked.
- Let cool down, then place in a plate. Don't rush otherwise it will break.
Instruction for Syrup or Tadka
- Take a Pan add 1 tsp of il and rai (mustard seeds), Fresh curry leaves, salt, 4-5 sliced green chilli and lemon juice.
- Now add 2-3 glass of water and 3-4 tbsp of sugar. Let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the flames let it cool on room temperature. Then pour it on top of the steamed dhokla.
- Delicious Khaman Dhokla is ready to serve. You can enjoy it anytime in a day.
How to make Khaman Dhokla
Here is step by step recipe of khaman dhokla.
- Take a bowl and add 2 cups of besan and 1 cup of sooji (semolina) in it.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of curd, 1 tbsp of sugar, and salt in the bowl.
- Squeeze 1 full lemon. Make sure you remove the seeds of the lemon otherwise it will give a bitter flavor to the khaman Dhokla and it tastes bad.
- Add water to make a thick batter yet flowy on the whisk and also there are no lumps in the batter.
- Lastly, add Eno (Fruit salt) mix it well and instantly pour it into an oil-greased steam pan. You should add fresh Eno otherwise Khaman is not fermented well and not giving a soft spongy texture. You should not rest the batter after adding Eno.
- Pour the batter into the Steamed Pan. Here you can also see the consistency of the batter clearly.
- Keep it in a steamer on medium flame. Check it in small intervals. It’ll take 35-40 minutes to be perfectly steamed.
- You can check it with a toothpick or knife, and insert it in the center. If the toothpick or knife comes clean out of the bowl that means it’s done. The sticky batter on the toothpick means it’s uncooked.
- When it’s done let it cool down to room temperature. After giving it a rest, remove the dhokla from the steamer bowl with slow and steady hands. Don’t rush otherwise it will break into the piece. Now just cut it in any shape. I prefer a square shape.
Khaman Dhokla Syrup Recipe:
The syrup is super essential for Khaman dhokla. By nature, Khaman Dhokla is very dry and almost impossible to swallow without syrup. The syrup will make it soft, spongy, and juicy and significantly enhances the flavor of Khaman Dhokla.
Here is how to make syrup for Khaman Dhokla:
- Take a pan and add 1 tbsp of oil and 1 tbsp of rai (mustard seeds), Fresh Curry Leaves, and 4-5 half-sliced green chili.
- Then add 3-4 tbsp of lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Add 2-3 glasses of water and add 3-4 tbsp of sugar.
- Let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Let it sit for a while. Then Pour it on top of the Khaman Dhokla.
- Soft, Spongy and juicy Khaman Dhokla is ready to serve.