Jaggery Rice is Pakistani cuisine and also a popular sweet rice dish which is also known as Meethe Chawal in which ‘Meetha’ means Sweet and ‘Chawal’ means Rice. That comes with those who are migrated from Pakistan to India after partition, from till now it is prepared in every Punjabi household.
I am having Gur Vale Chawal aka Jaggery Rice since my childhood, so this recipe is not new for me. Jaggery Rice or meethe chawal is a delicious gluten-free Rice Dish.
‘Gur’ is Urdu word of Jaggery and Chawal means Rice. Jaggery Rice has an organic amber color because it is prepared in Gur Water and water is evaporated and thick Gur aka Jaggery paste is left on Rice.
Along with Gur and Rice, other ingredients are also added in this rice dish i.e grated carrot, roasted peanut, cardamom, fennel seeds, dry coconut, other dry fruits. I personally preferred this recipe only in winter because the ingredients that I am going to add is only available in winter and I can’t have meethe chawal without these ingredients.
Here I am going to share a very easy recipe of Jaggery Rice that anyone can easily make it. If you have never tried Jaggery rice or tasted Meethe Chawal, then you can must try this rice dish. You will definitely crave it after having this Jaggery Rice. You can also make this recipe on special occasions.
I am sharing the full recipe of Jaggery Rice down below. I hope you like and try this recipe and don’t forget to share your experience in the comment section below.
Check out more recipes:
- 2 cup Rice
- 1 cup Gur Jaggery
- 3 Cardemom
- 1 cup Grated Red Carrot
- 1 tsp Sonf (Fennel seeds)
- 1 tsp sliced Dry Coconut
- Handful of Peanuts
- 1 tbsp Kishmish (Raisin)
- 1 tbsp Cashew
- Add 1 tbsp of oil in pressure cooker and add fennel seeds, carodamom in it.
- Then add cashew, coconut, resin, peanuts, in the cooker. Roast it for a while.
- Now add rice and grated carrot in it. Mix it well.
- Add Gur/Jaggery in the rice and add water in it. Wait for 2 whistles.
- After 2 Whistles, give it mix to rice. Now Jaggery Rice is ready serve.
How To Make Jaggery Rice (in detail):
Ingredients for Jaggery Rice.
- Take a pressure cooker add oil, 3 Cardamom, 1 tsp of sonf (fennel seeds) in it.
- Then add a handful of peanuts, dry coconut, Raisin (kishmish), and cashew in the pressure cooker and roast it. You can also add more dry fruits in it if you want.
- After that add washed 2 cups of Basmati rice and 1 cup of grated red carrots in it. Give it a mix.
- Now add Gur/Jaggery in it.
- Then add 4 cups of water in the pressure cooker and wait for 2 whistles. It takes 2 whistles because gur take time to cook with rice.
- After 2 whistles, Give it a mix.
- Now jaggery rice is ready to serve.
- You can also use powdered Gur/ Jaggery if you want. Basically, Gur/Jaggery is unfiltered sugar.
- You can also add more dry fruits like almonds, pista in jaggery rice.
- You should always add double the amount of water in it. For example, if you are adding 1 cup of rice then add 2 cup of water in it.