Dal Makhani is a deliciously creamy and buttery dish for dinner & lunch. Dal Makhani recipe is a popular North Indian Punjabi main course dish that is the soul of every party just like Shahi Paneer. It is basically originated in Delhi. Dal Makhani is a slow-cooked Dal recipe and has a smoky and velvety textured dal.
This recipe is prepared with Whole Black Lentil which is called Kali Dal, Maa Ki Dal or Urad Dal in Hindi. Most of the restaurants prepare this Dal recipe in Tandoor overnight or for hours that will give delicious smoky flavor in it.
Here I am going to share this recipe in an authentic way. I am going to cook it in Tandoor, it took 7-8 hours in tandoor and the taste was so freaking amazing. You can also cook it in a pressure cooker but you should definitely try it in tandoor at least once for that smoky flavor and velvety texture. You will definitely see the difference in taste. Who doesn’t like natural charcoal flavors in food?
The main ingredients of Dal Makhani are Cream, Butter, Tomatoes, Kidney beans, Garlic, onion and obviously Urad Dal. Dal Makhani is a simple luxurious recipe. This recipe can be served with Garlic Naan, Laccha Parantha, Plain Roti, or even with Jeera Rice, and don’t forget to have onion salad with Dal Makhani.
Dal Makhani and Dal Bukhara are very close recipes but there are some differences between them and that is Rajma (Kidney Beans) and Onions. Both ingredients are not added in Dal Bukhara. These are only 2 differences and the base ingredient remains the urad dal.
So, here I am going to share the full recipe of Dal Makhani. I hope you like and try this Dal Makhani recipe and don’t forget to share your experience in the comment section below.
Check out more Recipes:
- 200 gm Whole Black Lentil
- ½ cup Rajma (kidney Beans)
- 1 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1 Chopped Onions
- 1 cup Tomato Puree
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Dhania Powder
- 2 tbsp Fresh Cream (Malai as alternative)
- 2 tbsp White Butter
- Kasturi Methi
- Take a Whole Black Lentil and rinse it 2-3 time with tap water.
- Then add washed dal in vessel and add 1 tbsp of turmeric and salt to taste. Place it in tandoor for 4-5 hours and stir it in small intervals.
- When Dal is completely cooked then add oil in the Kadai.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and chopped onion in the pan.
- Then add tomato puree in it. Cook it.
- Then add cooked dal in the masala mix it.
- Add 2 tbsp of cream and butter in it. Mix it well. Sprinkle some Kasturi Methi on it. Let it cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Dal Makhani is now ready to serve.
How To Make Dal Makhani Recipe in detail:
- Take 200gm Whole Black Lentil and rinse it with tap water 2-3 times.
- Then add it in the vessel and add 1 tbsp of turmeric and salt to taste in it.
- Now place it in the tandoor. Leave it for 6-7 hours and stir it in small intervals.
- As you can see Dal is completely cooked. Now it’s time to prepare masala for Dal Makhani.
- Take pan and add 1 tbsp of ginger-garlic paste and 1 chopped onion in the pan.
- Add 1 cup of tomato puree in it. Cook it for a while.
- Add 1 tbsp of Kashmiri Lal Mirch, 1 tbsp of Dhania powder, and salt to taste. Mix it. Here I skip salt because I already added it in Dal. You can add it according to your taste. Add a little bit of water in the masala.
- Now add cooked Dal in the Masala and stir it.
- Also, add half a cup of water otherwise dal becomes super thick.
- Then add 2 tbsp of fresh cream and 2 tbsp of White butter (Makhan) in it. Mix it.If you don’t have cream,you can always use Fresh Malai.
- Sprinkle some Kasturi Methi on top of Dal.
- Let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Dal Makhani is now ready to serve with hot chapati.
- You Can also cook Dal using the pressure cooker. It takes 10-12 whistles to cook Whole Black Lentil.
- Take care while adding the Salt because Salt is already added while boiling.