Medu Vada or Urad Dal Vada is a popular South Indian breakfast/snack recipe. This Vada is a donut-like shaped, crispy, and salty dish that is prepared with Urad dal. As we know Urad dal is rich in protein and also has a lot of health benefits. Urad Dal Vada is a healthy breakfast or snack that is served in every South Indian restaurant all over the world.
Medu Vada is served with sambar or coconut chutney just like an Idli. Whenever mom cooks Sambar in my house, this medu vada is always prepared because I love medu vada with sambar. You can also make it at the time of evening tea by adding onions, coriander leaves, and other masalas in the batter of medu vada.
The batter of medu vada should be thick and fluffy otherwise it hard to give perfect shape to the medu vada. If you want more crispiness in the vada then you can also add rice flour or rava to make it more crispy and delicious. I am also going to give some simple and easy tricks for making a perfectly shaped medu vada.
Here I am sharing a very simple and easy recipe of Medu Vada that you can make at home without any extra effort. I hope you like and try this Medu Vada Recipe and share your experience in the comment section below.
Check out more recipes:
- Paneer Tikka
- Aloo Pyaaz Kachori
- Aloo Samosa
- Aloo Tikki Chaat
- Hakka Noodles
- Tandoori Soya Chaap Tikka
- Peri-Peri Sauce Pasta
- Veg Momos
- Noodles Spring Roll
- Rava Appe
- Bhel Puri Chaat
- Khaman Dhokla
- 250 gm Urad Dal
- 2 tbsp Rava (Sooji)
- Pinch of Baking soda
- Salt to taste
- oil for frying
- Firstly, rinse and soak urad dal in clean water overnight or 4-5 hours in day.
- Then add salt, pinch of soda, and rava in the dal and grind it.
- Grind it and make a thick paste. Batter should be thick.
- After making a thick batter take a katori or small bowl and place batter on back of the bowl and give the shape of vada and deep fry it.
- Fry it it is crispy and golden brown. Medu vada is now ready to serve with Samber.
How To Make Medu Vada (in detail):
Here is a complete step by step Medu Vada recipe:
- Firstly, rinse and soak an Urad Dal overnight or 7-8 hours.
- The next morning, rinse it again and drain excess water from the dal.
- Then add a pinch of baking soda and salt to taste.
- Now grind it and make a thick paste.
- After that, add 2 tbsp of rava to the grinded dal. This will help to make a Medu Vada crispy and tasty. You can also add rice flour if you want.
- Now beat a dal until the quantity of dal is increased and you can notice a fluff in the dal.
- Take a small bowl or Katori, grease it with oil and place 1 tbsp of thick batter on the back of the Katori and make a hole with help of a thumb. (see the picture below)
- Deep fry it with the help of a bowl or Katori. It is easily come out from the Katori after deep frying.
- Let it fry until it turns golden brown and crispy.
- Medu Vada is now ready to serve with Sambar or coconut chutney. You can also serve it as a tea-time snack.
- The batter of Medu Vada should be thick and fluffy. You can also add Rava or rice flour just to make it more crispy.
- You can also add onions, coriander leaves, and more spices just to make it tastier. Here I am sharing a simple recipe of Medu Vada because I like it simple and plain Medu Vada with Sambar only.